When it comes to social media marketing, most of us automatically think of promoting our businesses through Facebook groups or by posting on our accounts thousands of posts daily. But the one thing that has to be remembered is that too much effort can turn into spamming very easily. And we all know that no one likes a spammer, at least not if you’re into a serious and long time business. So let’s make two lists: what to do and what not to do when it comes to social media promotion as they are equally as important.
At first let’s start with what not to do, because sometimes it’s more important to know what to avoid, being well known the fact that failure is always better recalled than success, mostly by the others. So here we go:
1. Do not post more than 3-4 times a day the same post and that only when you really have something you want to share, the general golden rule should be don’t post the same thing more than once a day. It is really annoying to see in your newsfeed the same post re-shared over and over by a person. You might think that you have a better change of your friends seeing what you post, but some of them might have a low friend count and that will mean you will flood their newsfeed with your one post over and over again.
2. If your post did not get any likes, don’t delete it. Have the pride not to admit that you failed or that your post was not that good. Leave it there, look confident!
3. Don’t invite all your friends to like your page. Not all will like it and you really don’t need uninterested likes for your page, only invite the few that you think would enjoy it and benefit from your posts. A few well chosen friends could help you a lot more than inviting all of them and receiving a lot of unsubscribes for your feed. This will send a really bad signal back to Facebook.
4. Do not post nasty things in the groups that you have recently been accepted into. The group’s niche might not be similar to your site’s so try to share only those posts that are more orthodox. Also posting irrelevant stuff means that your post will get reported as spam by the group members and you only need a few of those to get yourself banned from using groups for 1,2, or 4 weeks.
5. Don’t post huge posts, your facebook page should not be used as a blog, rather keep it short and to the point, make it as interesting as you can, just keep in mind that many people have a short attention span and with the huge volume of information is bombarded nowadays no one has the time to read a half an hour story
6. Don’t share irrelevant or useless update! Just don’t, really you don’t want to be like:
Now, we can safely turn to the to do’s and without further ado we shall unlock some of the best practices when doing social media marketing:
1. Observe your followers’ behavior and publish posts accordingly. See when they are the most active on the web and release that hot post then. Usually in the weekends around 4-5 o’clock in the afternoon or during the week at about 7-10 o’clock in the evening, after coming home from work.
2. Add an intriguing description to your post. Don’t just leave it blank. Ask a question, a riddle or simply write something like a little teaser to catch the attention.
3. Search Facebook groups that are related to your site’s niche and join them. Share what you post on your page in those groups and it is guaranteed to find at least a few new and active fans per day.
4. Share only good quality content. If you don’t have anything good in one of the days it is best not to write or create something mediocre. Your fans will sense it. Keep up the high quality.
5. Organize giveaways. These are a sure way to success. To find more on this subject, read our on depth article on how to create great giveaways.
The conclusion is that promoting yourself or your business via internet marketing is one of the best things you could do to increase your popularity. It is free, it is easy even if you are a beginner, all you have to do is create content and share it, pure and simple. But as in any life situation you have to keep in mind that all the things are done with moderation. So following the above tips is the first step in a long and enjoyable journey through social media marketing. For some of you these might seem basic but you’d be amazed how many times some or all of the above are disregarded and something that should work really good for your business you will be having troubles with.